Variance for 168 Humboldt Pkwy, Buffalo, NY 14214 (aka 2130 Main Street)
- The building has been used commercially for over 104 years, since circa 1904. This Variance would allow us to continue utilizing the office space for a service business that is not listed as one of the exceptions.
- The Building has been vacant for 3+ years. We would like to preserve the building and save the neighborhood from blight and decreasing value.
- The Building has been owned by various Not-For-Profits from 1967-1981 and 1987 to Present, which means that they have not paid Property and Income Taxes. Allowing the Variance would give Property and Income Taxes back to the City.
- The use of the Building will not increase traffic or parking. StaffBuffalo currently has two employees plus the owner and does most of their work over the phone or in meetings throughout the city. There is a parking lot attached that accommodates up to 6 cars, so there will not be an increase in parking issues.
- StaffBuffalo takes immense pride in volunteering throughout the city (information here!) and works with a variety of Not-For-Profit and For-Profit Companies throughout the Buffalo, NY area. The team helps people find jobs, while helping Businesses identify the right people to work at their companies - find out more about our team and what we do!
Historical Ownership and Use of 168 Humboldt:
From the time it was first occupied 104 years ago (circa 1904) until the present, the building at 168 Humboldt Parkway—which has significant fronting on Main Street—has been virtually continuously in use as an office of one kind or another.
When listed as a new structure with large barn for sale in 1913, 168 Humboldt Pkwy was purchased by Dr. Arthur Eisbein, physician and long-time City Health Department Diagnostician. From 1913 until his death in 1937, Dr. Eisbein used the building at the corner of Main and Humboldt as his medical office.
Following Dr. Eisbein’s death, 168 Humboldt Pkwy was purchased by a dentist, Dr. Glenn O. McClure, who practiced dentistry from his office in the building until he died in 1961.
In 1967, Canisius College purchased the building, which is two blocks north of its Main Street Campus, as offices and meeting space for its alumni and alumnae clubs.
Sisters of Charity Hospital and its foundation purchased the property—directly across Main Street from the hospital-- in 1989. For most of the 28 years the hospital has owned the building it has been used as office and meeting space.
Researched and submitted by Steven J. Cichon
Historian and researcher, Buffalo, NY.
Author of “The Complete History of Parkside,” et al.
Historian, Parkside Community Association.
See Full Report by Steven J. Chichon Here!
R2 Residential Dwelling:
168 Humboldt Parkway (aka 2130 Main Street), Buffalo, NY 14214 is currently zoned as R2 Residential and has been used as an office building since 1904. Some of the office uses permitted under R2 Residential include: Office of a nonprofit civic, religious or charitable organization, hospital or sanatorium, office of a resident physician, surgeon, dentist, certified psychologist, architect, engineer, lawyer or insurance or real estate broker, residential beauty parlors - See full Zoning Information Here - City Zoning Ordinances and Districts.
Reference: City of Buffalo: City Zoning Ordinances and Districts
We are asking for your support to obtain a variance to utilize this office for a service company (StaffBuffalo).
The office has been vacant for 3+ years and we would like to preserve the building and save the neighborhood from blight and decreasing value. Therefore, we would like to request a variance to keep the building as an office building for a service company that operates 9-5 and would not increase the traffic or noise in the area. Since the building has been owned by a not for profit for decades, we will be putting property and income tax revenue back into the community. StaffBuffalo is a women-owned, full service professional staffing firm that specializes in high level searches. Examples of these searches include, Controllers, CFO’s, CEO’s, COO’s and Human Resource professionals. StaffBuffalo currently operates out of a home office on Russell Street and would love the opportunity to utilize this building to expand the business and continue to help people in the Buffalo area.
GAR ASSOCIATES LLC
2399 Sweet Home Road
Amherst, New York 14228